Long-Term Consequences of Adderall Addiction
There are short and long-term consequences associated with Adderall use.
The short-term effects of Adderall abuse include:
- Increased blood pressure.
- Increased heart rate.
- Increased energy levels and hyperactivity.
- Anxiety and panic attacks.
- Racing and intrusive thoughts.
- A spike in body temperature.
- Appetite loss.
- Mood changes, often marked by agitation and irritability.
- Restlessness and an inability to sit still.
- Persistent headaches.
- Dry mouth.
When it comes to long-term Adderall use, related consequences can be severe.
The most common long-term effects of Adderall misuse include:
- Persistent sleep issues, including insomnia and exhaustion.
- Significant weight loss due to harshly reduced appetite.
- Lasting changes to mood, which might include irritability, aggression and agitation, recurring anxiety or depression.
- Newly developing psychiatric issues.
- Heart disease and increased risk of heart attack.
- High blood pressure.
- The development of a serious and potentially life-threatening stimulant use disorder.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, “Repeated misuse of prescription stimulants, even within a short period, can cause psychosis, anger, or paranoia. If the drug is injected, it is important to note that sharing drug injection equipment and having impaired judgment from drug misuse can increase the risk of contracting infectious diseases such as HIV and hepatitis. An SUD develops when continued use of the drug causes issues, such as health problems and failure to meet responsibilities at work, school, or home.”
It is important to remember that you cannot seek help for a prescription stimulant use disorder too early on or too late. Nipping problem use in the bud before it develops into an addiction is always a good idea, and even those with severe cases of Adderall addiction can recover with the right treatment program in place. At Princeton Detox & Recovery Center we have developed a program of medically monitored stimulant detox geared towards helping clients undergo a comfortable withdrawal while preparing them for the remainder of their personal recovery journeys. To learn more, today.